Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Josh L's Pay It Forward

Part I
"Pay It forward" is a movie that all grade eights had to watch. It was about a kid named Trevor who had to do a Social Studies project. They were told to make a difference in the world. Trevor thought of an idea that was really brilliant and original. He thought of the system "Pay It Forward." It is simply a system that starts with one individual and ends up affecting a whole lot of people. In the movie, Trevor explained his idea with this quote...

"You see, I do something real good for three people. And then when they ask how they can pay it back, I say they have to Pay It Forward...to three more people. Each. So, nine people get helped. Then those people have to do twenty-seven." He turned on the calculator, punched in a few numbers. "Then it sort of spreads out, see, to eighty-one, then two hundred forty-three, then seven hundred twenty-nine, then two thousand, one hundred eighty-seven. See how big it gets?"


Part II
My Pay It Forward act of kindness was to clean front yards and sidewalks of people's houses. I did my act of kindness with a few of my friends. We chose this activity because it is fairly simple, yet it makes a whole lot of difference. We were really suppose to volunteer at Siloam Mission, but it was hard to arrange. My friends and I helped people who is quite busy and doesn't have time to clean their yard. We went around the neighbourhood and started with my friend's house. We were not quite sure how to do it and explain to them what "Pay It Forward" means at first, but we eventually got the hang of it. Then, we got some rakes and started raking leaves. At the end, we had over seven garbage bags full of leaves. It was tiring, but worth it. I did my act of kindness on Saturday, November 12, 2011. We started at about 1:30 pm and ended at 3:45 pm.

Part III

My act of kindness went awesome! It was scary at first, but we got more confident as we clean people's yards. We mostly raked leaves out of people's front yards and sidewalks. After my act of kindness was over, I felt proud of myself and for what I did. I don't raked leaves daily, but raking other people's leaves for them feels much better because you know you have helped someone other than yourself. When we asked the people if we could rake their leaves, they were like "Oh, really?" So this is when our paper that says we are student from Sargent Park who wants to make a difference came in handy. Yes, we asked the people to pay it forward. They were like "Okay, we will." I think they really meant it because it will help the community and maybe the whole world! We asked them to pay it forward by simply saying what "Pay It Forward" means and asking them if they could be a part of the chain reaction.


Part IV
The idea of "Pay It Forward" is important because if everyone participates, we would end up helping everyone another. That means, everyone gets along and that would bring peace to the world. My act of kindness definitely made a difference. Like the entire grade eight teacher from Sargent Park says, you can make a difference even if it's only a simple thing



3 comments:

  1. Hi Josh! Great job on your Pay it Forward act of kindness! I really like how you guys got to talk to the people you did your act for, and saw their reactions to it. Great video, I really liked how you took something from the movie and put it in your video! Good job you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Josh! I really loved what you did for your Pay it Forward. Good job yo everyone who was in your group. I think it was a great idea to clean the front yard of other people because leaves are falling and not a lot if people gets a chance to clean up. Anyway, the video was also great. And yes, at first I felt scared and embarrassed (because people were looking at me) while I was cleaning up too. Other than that well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job Josh! That was a great act of kindness that you guys did. It was nice of you to rake all those leaves! That was really nice because nobody likes the leaves on there yards so it must have been nice for them. Great job!

    ReplyDelete