Ratio- is a comparison of two number of the same kind
Types of ratio:
1. two-term ratio-compares two quantities measured in the same units.
2. three-term ratio- compares three quantities measured in the same units
3. part-to-part ratio- compares different parts of a group to each other.
1. You have a bag full of marbles. 1 red, 4 black, 8 white, and 6 multicoloured marble. What is the ratio of the multicoloured marble to the white one?
1. First, check the numbers that are to be compared. Which in this case are 8 and 6.
2. Separate the two numbers using a colon (:) or a /.
Answer: 6:8, 8/6
4. part-to-whole ratio- compares one part of a group to a whole group
1.You drink a 500 ml water bottle, you drank 369 ml. What is the ratio of the ml you drank to the original ml? No solution this time! :)
Rate- is a ratio that compares two quantities of two different units.
1. $1.50 for 5 candies.
1. Unit rate- is a rate in which the second term is 1.
1. Leo's heart beat 37,645 every 5.5 hours. What is the beat rate of Leo's heart every hour?
1. 5 hours to travel 360 miles is about _____mph
Answer: 72 MPH
2. As a playgroup worker, if I increase the amount of apple juice I am serving at the playgroup from 25 ml to 100 ml, how much should I increase the the orange juice to, to keep the quantities in the same proportion? The orange juice is 50 ml to start with.
Answer: 200 ml
1. What are the three ways you can prove that equivalent ratio statements are true?
3/4 = 12/16 or 4/9 = 16/32
1. First, you can go horizontally- divide the top left number to the top right and bottom left and bottom right numbers.
2. Second, you can go diagonally- divide top left number to bottom right, and top right corner to bottom left number if you get the same quotient your answer is correct.
3. Lastly, you can do it vertically- divide the numerator by the denominator.
1.Does this seem fair?
- It's unbelievably unfair.
2.With what you know about proportion look and read what is in the image above. Does it seem just and fair? Why have you made this choice?
- It's not very fair at all.I made this choice because the guy who stole $3 billion which is almost million times larger than the guy who only stole $100 just to feed himself was only sentenced 3 years and the guy who is starving for food spent 15 years which is 12 years longer than the guy who stole $3 billion.
4.What would you have done if you were the judge?
- For me the hungry man's violation is a very minor one. Instead, I would just give him his first warning and sent him to a community center so that he would get free food, care, and workouts.
THANKS FOR TAKING TIME READING! HAVE A GREAT LEARNING DAY! :)